Guidelines on Field Study Courses
These guidelines aim to help the Field Study professors/ instructors and concerned officials in the conduct of the different activities related to Field Study such as in the deployment, supervision, monitoring and assessment of students. Moreover, these guidelines aim to help Field Study students conduct school visits, make class observations, conduct interview with school officials or resource teachers, or make ocular inspection of various school facilities like learning resource center, library, faculty room and others.
A. General Guidelines
1. Field Study course shall be given one (1) credit unit. Students shall be required to complete a 17-hour coursework consists of the orientation cum seminar, field studies, and revalida cum culminating activity. At least 12 hours of actual field studies and 3 hour of orientation and 2 hours of revalida is suggested.
2. Field Study course shall be offered to students who have completed the perquisite professional education courses.
3. Orientation cum seminar on the specific FS course in coordination with the concerned office/s of the college/institution shall be conducted prior to the deployment of the FS students.
4. Field Study professor/instructor shall be given authority to travel by the college/institution to deploy, supervise and monitor the FS students.
5. Supervision shall be conducted by the FS professor with concerned college official anytime during the semester the FS course is offered. In case the FS students are deployed in cooperating schools in different towns, cities or provinces, the FS professor/instructor shall follow a schedule of visit in such a way that all the students are visited/monitored.
6. The supervising and monitoring functions shall be counted as part of the FS workload of the professor/instructor in case of relevant administrative concerns.
7. Assistance to the students in terms of documents needed, instructions required, and others deemed related to the conduct of the field studies shall be provided by the FS professor/instructor.
8. Grades for the FS course shall be computed based on the approved syllabus and according the existing policies of the college/institution, and shall be submitted on the date set by concerned authority.
B. Before the School Visit
1. Field Study students are required to attend the orientation cum seminar on the specific Field Study (FS) course conducted by the FS professor/instructor or by the concerned office/center in the college/institution.
2. Field Study students shall be provided with the worksheets and guidelines for the FS course and other pertinent documents.
3. Field Study students shall be given contact number by the FS professor/instructor or concerned official of the college/institution, in case of emergency.
4. Field Study students shall submit the necessary parent’s or guardian’s permit to conduct the field studies.
5. Field Study students (either alone, in tandem or small team/group), together with the FS professor/instructor, shall seek permit in writing from the head/dean of the college/institution to conduct the field studies in a specific cooperating school.
C. During the Field Study/School Visit
1. Field Study students shall observe courtesy call to the concerned head of cooperating school.
2. Upon permission, Field Study students shall observe approach concerned resource persons/teachers with politeness.
3. Field Study students shall observe proper decorum at all times while doing the field study such as when dealing with officials, teachers or learners, entering certain offices or facilities, classroom and even leaving the school premises.
4. Field Study students shall wear complete school uniform.
5. Field Study students shall request permission to have photo, audio or video documentation of facilities, classes, or interviews, whichever is applicable.
6. Field Study students shall observe the school rules and regulations of the cooperating school while in its premises.
D. After the Field Study/School Visit
1. Field Study students shall report to the FS professor/instructor any incident deemed significant, urgent or untoward for reference or for resolution.
2. Field Study students shall organize the data gathered and insights gained during the field studies.
3. Field Study students shall complete the worksheets required for the course.
4. Field Study students shall attend the revalida cum culminating activity, and shall share or report the significant experience and insights gained preferably through a multimedia presentation. Revalida shall be conducted by the FS professor/instructor in his preferred manner.
5. Field Student students shall deposit and/or display in the Learning Resource Center or Accreditation Room or any other appropriate office or center any or all the outputs or portfolio, as deemed necessary by the FS professor/instructor.